The following instructions will guide you through the SSL installation process on Webmin. If you have more than one server or device, you will need to install the certificate on each individual server or device you need to secure. If you still have not generated your certificate and completed the validation process, reference our CSR Generation Instructions and disregard the steps below.
What You’ll Need
- Your server certificate
This is the certificate you received from the CA for your domain. You may have been sent this via email. If not, you can download it by visiting your Account Dashboard and clicking on your order.
- Your intermediate certificates
These files allow the devices connecting to your server to identify the issuing CA. There may be more than one of these certificates. If you got your certificate in a ZIP folder, it should also contain the Intermediate certificates, which is sometimes referred to as a CA Bundle. If not, download the appropriate CA Bundle for your certificate.
- Your private key
This file should be on your server, or in your possession if you generated your CSR from a free generator tool. On certain platforms, such as Microsoft IIS, the private key is not immediately visible to you but the server is keeping track of it
- Copy Certificates to the ServerCopy your certificate files (SSL & intermediates), along with your private key, and put them on your server.
- Locate your Miniserv.pem fileIt’s usually located in the same directory as your Miniserv.conf file. You’re going to be replacing miniserv.pem with a new one you will create shortly.
- Create a new Miniserv.pemThere are two ways to do this, either enter the following command line:cat private.keyyourdomain.crt > new-miniserv.pemOR, you can open both your SSL certificate and private key, paste both into a new .txt file (key first, then certificate) and save it as new-miniserv.pem.
- Configure your miniserv.conf fileFinally you’ll need to add your intermediate. Open your .conf file and enter the location of the intermediate you copied to the server earlier:extracas=/etc/webmin/intermediate_certificate.crt
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed your SSL certificate! To check your work, visit the website in your browser at https://yourdomain.tld and view the certificate/site information to see if HTTPS/SSL is working properly. Remember, you may need to restart your server for changes to take effect.
To check your server’s configurations more thoroughly, contact our Customer Experience Department for additional assistance.